2020 Great Barrier Reef SCUBA Spring Break Trip
The 2020 Great Barrier Reef SCUBA Spring Break Trip has been designed to provide an opportunity for CPP divers to experience a new diving environment, complete a conservation service project, and complete three specialty diving certifications.
The purpose is for our members to become experienced divers. The best practice for this is to dive in different environments. Diving in a warm water environment incorporates different sea life while offering good opportunity for more training dives to support a variety of specialty courses and night diving. These same opportunities are difficult to offer during the winter and early spring months in Southern California due to the cold-water temperatures and the potentially dangerous environment it creates for divers.
We will also participate in conservation project. Our divers will work with Project Aware to learn about global conservation efforts and participate in a citizen scientist service project on the Great Barrier Reef to help sustain the longevity of sea life.
Friday, March 27, 2020 (depart BRIC approx. 7 p.m.) to Sunday, April 5, 2020 (arrive to BRIC approx. 7 a.m)
Registration will open on November 25, 2019 at noon for any certified diver, and will close on December 6, 2019 at noon.
Register at recportal.cpp.edu or at the BRIC front desk.
• Each person will be assigned a number and we will pull numbers for 36 participants. The first 18 will be the winners of the trip and the next 18 will go on the waitlist.
• Lottery winners will be contacted on Friday, December 6, 2019. (Winners will have until noon on Monday, December 9, 2019 to pay the deposit.)
• Any deposit not paid opens a spot for the next number on the waitlist of the lottery drawing, and that person will have 24 hours to pay the deposit before it opens up to the next person on the list.
For more information, attend one of the trip orientations taking place on Nov. 26, Dec. 3 and Dec. 5 during U-hour at the BRIC, Studio D.
The Great Barrier Reef (GBR), located off the coast of Queensland, Australia
COST: $1325 total
Payment plan breakdown is as follows:
|Payment #||Amount||Registration Deadline|
|1 – Non-Refundable Deposit||$350||December 10, 2019|
|2||$325||January 10, 2020|
|3||$325||February 10, 2020|
|4||$325||March 10, 2020|
• Ocean Quest Liveaboard lodging
• All meals and snacks (except for 2 travel days)
• Specialty certification (see details below)
• Unlimited access to diving the GBR
ATTENDEES: You must be a BRIC member in order to attend the trip as well as a minimum certified Open Water Diver.
OCEAN QUEST LIVEABOARD
The Great Barrier Reef (GBR) is located off the coast of Queensland, Australia and is the largest living thing on Earth. Its ecosystem can be seen from outer space and hosts thousands of aquatic species. The diving destination for ASI is out of the tropical northern Queensland city, Cairns.
Ocean Quest is a 118-foot catamaran liveaboard off the coast of Cairns, Queensland (similar distance of Long Beach to Catalina). It was refurbished in 2017 and has 22 cabins with in-suite bathrooms and air conditioning. The liveaboard provides lodging, all meals, and unlimited access to diving the GBR straight from the boat in the calm, warm waters of northern Australia.
This trip and diving environment support a three-pack combination of specialty certifications available for participants to choose from:
• AWARE Corel Reef Conservation
• AWARE Fish Identification
• Boat Diver
• Enriched Air (EANx)
• Digital Underwater Photographer I & II
• Underwater Naturalist