ASI Facilities Extended Closures Through The End of Fall 2020

All ASI-operated facilities (the BRIC, BSC, and Children’s Center) will extend current summer closures through the end of fall 2020, unless conditions improve and ASI receives approval to begin reopening. We will continue to communicate relevant and updated information to you. Please continue to care for yourself and one another as we keep our campus community safe and healthy.

For the status of ASI facilities and services, visit for updated hours of operations. The ASI Events page lists ASI online events now available to you wherever you are learning. Also, the ASI FAQs page addresses topics such as travel, ASI operations and club accounts, and ASI fees. If you have questions regarding ASI events, services, or facilities email Cathy Neale, associate director of marketing, at

COVID-19 Resources

ASI Facilities & Operations Fee (BRIC and BSC)

  • What is the status of the mandatory ASI Facilities & Operations Fee for Spring 2020?

    In light of the evolving circumstances of COVID-19, the CSU system has established an Interim policy concerning the refund of fees. These guidelines recognize the essential functions at a university should not be financially jeopardized. The University ASI Facilities & Operations Fee falls into the category of mandatory campus fees which will not be refunded.


    You can find the CSU policy here:
    If you have additional questions about the policy, please email

  • What does the mandatory ASI Facilities & Operations Fee pay for?

    The fee is in place to pay ongoing bond payments on both the Bronco Student Center (BSC) and Bronco Recreation & Intramural Complex (BRIC) buildings, and to cover operational costs and staffing, all of which continue even though the buildings are not currently open to the public.


    We understand the extraordinary situation many of our students are experiencing due to the recent changes on campus, and we are working hard each day to provide virtual programming options and to plan for when regular programming returns.


    As such, it is crucial to maintain both facilities, so they are immediately ready for use when the campus returns to normal operations. The BRIC and BSC will be ready to serve our community once we’re past this crisis and we are given approval to open.

Poly Pantry

  • Is the Poly Pantry open?

    The Poly Pantry is closed through the summer and is planning to reopen in the fall. The model for serving Broncos in need will be different but will be accessible and put the safety of students and Poly Pantry staff at the forefront. Visit Poly Pantry to learn more or contact Alyssa Christiansen, the ASI Cares Coordinator, at (909) 869-2343 or email


ASI Fees

The COVID-19 pandemic has had significant impacts on many of those in our campus community, including cutbacks and job losses. It’s likely the notion of sacrificing a college education has crossed our students’ minds, or perhaps they’ve considered temporarily postponing college until things get better. At the heart of this issue is money. So why do students have to pay “mandatory” fees such as the ASI fee and the ASI Facilities & Operations fee to attend CPP? Why do such fees exist and what purpose do they serve? And, why do students have to pay mandatory fees when not on campus during this crisis? Let’s break it down together.

  • What is a mandatory fee?

    Mandatory student fees pay for programs, services, and spaces that students decided they wanted and imposed fees on themselves and future students at Cal Poly Pomona. Traditionally mandatory fees are initiated and adjusted by students through a student referendum. Similar to community-based taxes, all current students vote in a student referendum to self-impose mandatory fees so they can have campus amenities e.g., student representation and governance, student clubs and organizations, non-classroom student buildings, and services and programs designed for them based on their needs during their time at Cal Poly Pomona.


    Mandatory fees can also be initiated by Alternative Consultation, which is a process used when the university president determines a fee referendum is not the best mechanism for appropriate and meaningful consultation with students. For example, in 2010, the alternative consultation process was used to determine if students supported funding the construction of the student recreation center, now called the Bronco Recreation & Intramural Complex (BRIC). The alternative consultation process for the Student Recreation Center Initiative was done by giving presentations and polling incoming freshmen at summer orientations in 2010, rather than a traditional referendum of the entire student body, as this was the first group of students anticipated to be affected by the fee increase because the recreation center would take four years to construct. The majority of the polled freshmen were supportive of a fee increase to pay for the facility. The ASI Senate and Fee Advisory Committee recommended a fee increase of $140 per quarter for a new student recreation center effective with its opening in fall 2014.

  • Why do such fees exist and what purpose do they serve?

    Cal Poly Pomona (CPP) has six mandatory student fees: the ASI fee, the ASI Facilities & Operations (F&O) fee, the Health Medical Facility fee, Student Health fee, Instructionally Related Activities fee, and the Student Success fee. CPP annually allocates the revenue from the ASI fee and the ASI F&O fee to the Associated Students, Inc., a non-profit corporation governed by a student board and run by part-time student employees and professional staff. The ASI mandatory fees cover the cost of student representation and governance, funding for student clubs and organizations, student services and programs, and debt payments and other expenses to construct and run the ASI-operated facilities: Bronco Student Center (BSC) and Bronco Recreation and Intramural Complex (BRIC).

  • Why do students have to pay mandatory fees when not on campus during this crisis?

    During the COVlD-19 crisis, ASI representation and governance, student club and organization activities, and ASI programs and services have been moved online, which still costs money. Student leaders are working remotely, and student programs and services are available online or through other virtual methods so students can still access them while learning off campus. Beyond staffing, expenses for online programs and services includes contracts with artists, performers, and vendors; software and digital infrastructure; and costs associated with making content accessible.


    Additionally, even though ASI facilities are temporarily closed, the operating costs and bond debt payments to cover the cost of construction do not go away. And maintaining clean, safe, and up-to-date spaces is essential for when students return to campus. Funds to pay for these costly projects are planned for and paid from the ASI reserve funds, which is where any unspent revenue is captured. Examples of recent and future projects include: BSC Air Handler Replacement Project $2M, BRIC Swimming Pool Restoration $400K, Games Room Etc. Additional Seating $152K, and July 2020 BSC restoration from water damage caused by a broken pipe during the COVID-19 building closure $TBD.

Refund Information on Tuition, Mandatory and Campus-Based Fees

  • Tuition & Mandatory Fees (Student Success Fee, IRA, ASI Fee, Facilities & Operations Fee, Mandatory Health Fee, and Health Facility Fee)

    Can we get a refund for ASI fees?


    Cal Poly Pomona is following the policies and guidance of the California State University Chancellor’s Office governing tuition and mandatory fees. As instruction and academic credit will continue to be offered in spring semester 2020, refunds of tuition and other campus mandatory fees will not be issued for students enrolled in courses for academic credit. Tuition and mandatory fees are being used to ensure continued continuity of instruction in a virtual format.


    Tuition and other campus mandatory fees will be refunded in accordance with campus refund policies and procedures consistent with CSU policy Title 5 CCR § 41802.


    Visit the Student FAQs page on CPP Health Alert for more information regarding fee refunds.

  • Children’s Center

    Will I be charged fees while the Children’s Center is closed?


    For subsidized families, effective April, May, and June 2020, the Children’s Center will not collect any family fees from subsidized families. Should the center reopen and resume services earlier than anticipated, fees will be waived for subsidized families for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year that ends June 30, 2020.


    For private pay families who paid tuition for March, once the Children’s Center reopens, the staff will be calculating a prorated refund for payment of care beyond March 13, 2020. The Children’s Center will not be collecting any tuition from private pay families during the closure.

Health, Food and Housing Resources

  • How can I access services offered by the City of Pomona?

    The City of Pomona COVID-19 Action Committee has put together a comprehensive list of resources, including information on testing locations, drive-up and traditional food pantries, mental health services and more. This list is accessible online by visiting You may also gain additional information by calling the hotline at (909) 620-2311.

Student Clubs and Organizations

  • Travel Suspension

    Can we be reimbursed if we have already paid for travel expenses?

    Yes, you can be reimbursed. Please submit proof of payment (receipt) and proof of cancellation.

    What is proof of cancellation?

    Proof of cancellation may come in many forms depending on the company’s policies and procedures. This item can be a receipt, confirmation, or newly updated statement of account.

    Can we travel if we will not be requesting reimbursement?

    Per the Centers for Disease Control as well as state and local public health agencies, it is recommended that you limit travel for the protection of the community. However, it is not within the jurisdiction of ASI or the University to manage students travel while off campus, when not on University business.

    Can I use my Agency account instead of ASI account to fund my trip?

    Unfortunately, this is not possible due to the signed Agency Fund Agreement.

    Is there going to be a way to electronically submit paperwork if your office closes?

    Yes, please email your Budgets, Disbursement Requests and Purchase Orders to

    Are you closed?

    Yes, Financial Services is working remotely processing financial documents, the anticipated re-opening date is June 1, 2020

    What if we already left, can we still be reimbursed? We did not see the notice until it was too late.

    Yes, you may be reimbursed. At this time, all groups with Travel Authorizations on file have been contacted directly. If you are a group member who left campus without knowing about the suspension, please contact Financial Services.

    What if the refund is in the form of a credit, can we still be reimbursed because we need the cash, or because we will not use the credit in the future?

    It may be possible, please collect as much documentation as possible. Reimbursement issues will be resolved on a case-by-case basis.

    Can exceptions be made for important events?

    Possibly, Travel Exceptions for “essential” travel will be granted by the Dean of Students Office. Please fill out the form and submit to the Dean of Student’s Office.

  • Electronic Form Submission

    Are you closed?

    Yes, Financial Services is working remotely processing financial documents, the anticipated re-opening date is June 1st, 2020.

    Is there going to be a way to electronically submit paperwork if your office closes?

    Yes, you may email Purchase Order and Disbursement Requests to Financial Services at Please see instructions for options on electronic approval/signatures below.

    Will you be accepting electronic signatures?

    Financial Services is accepting electronic signatures/approval during the social distancing period. There are three options on how to complete this process.

    1. Printed Paperwork – manually sign, and scan or take a picture of paperwork. PDF and JPEG files are acceptable.


    2. Adobe Sign using Acrobat – Use Adobe Acrobat to create your own personalized signature and electronically sign the document.


    3. Type your name – Type your name in the signature field. Then email the document to Financial Services at Keep reading! When you email the form, copy (cc) two authorized signers on your account. One student authorized signer (other than yourself) and an advisor. Both the authorized signer and advisor can reply to your email with “approved.” Financial Services will save the email as proof of approval.

  • Budget Request

    Will a large carryover affect how much funding we receive from our council?


    No, carryover will have no effect on your annual allocation.


    How do I fill out the Budget Request Packet?


    You may visit the training library on our webpage and look over the Budget Training Workshop PowerPoint slides.


    Do I need to include quotes/flyers with my budget request?




    Do I submit  Budget Request to Financial Services?


    No. Submit the ASI budget request packet to your council?


    Can I use mid-year funds for another expense since our trip has been cancelled due to the national health crisis?


    No. Mid-year budget allocation award was approved for this specific purpose (trip), the funds may only be used for this purpose.


    Will you be accepting electronic signatures?


    Yes. Please refer to our electronic signatures standards in the Electronic Form Submission section.


    Will the Budget Request deadline be extended?


    At this time, we do not have any plans to extend Budget deadlines. However, as the situation evolves, we’ll provide new guidance as appropriate.

  • Cash or Check Deposits

    Can clubs and orgs make cash or check deposits into their ASI accounts during the closure?


    Yes, deposits can be made by appointment only. Please email to schedule your appointment.

Campus Recreation/BRIC Members

  • Intramural Sports

    Will I get a refund if I signed up for spring semester Intramural Sports?


    All Intramural Sport participants will be contacted individually regarding refund options.

  • Member Services

    How can I retrieve my personal belongings from my BRIC locker rental?


    All BRIC locker renters were email instructions on how to collect any personal items. If you did not receive that communication, please email Scott Macleod, member services coordinator at


    Will I get a refund for my BRIC locker rental?


    Prorated refunds will be offered to all BRIC locker renters. A communication will be sent to those individuals.

  • Personal Training

    I still have unused personal training sessions at the BRIC, how do I get to use those sessions?


    The Campus Rec Personal Training team is exploring all options to still deliver the services virtually. You also have the option to keep your package active and resume training when we reopen. We will even extend the package expiration date, if needed. However, if those options do not work for you and would like a refund, we will process that request for any remaining (unclaimed) sessions. Please email Ivan Serrano, fitness coordinator at

  • Refunds (locker rentals/programs/personal training/trips/workshops)

    If you purchased any locker rentals/programs/personal training/trips/workshops out of pocket that did not occur/finish, you will be receiving either a full refund or partial refund (based on amount used/how far along in the program you were). There is no action needed from you at this time. You will be contacted regarding your refund. However, due to the amount of refunds being issued, the Campus Rec team thanks you in advance for your patience while they are processing all refunds.

For ASI department contact information, please visit the Contact/Hours webpage. For information regarding status updates for all upcoming ASI events, including programs, workshops and certifications that take place at the BRIC and BSC, please visit the ASI Event Updates webpage.

For Cal Poly Pomona frequently asked questions, please visit the General FAQs on the Cal Poly Pomona website. The university’s Health Alert website will continue to share important news, announcements and resources.