Pomona History 1938 – 2014


1938

Picture of ASI from 1938

The first year the campus is open for enrollment (then called the Cal Poly Voorhis Unit), the first governing body, Student Activities Committee (SAC), is formed and headed by Avon Carlson.

1939

Photo of an ASI building from 1939

SAC is renamed Student Affairs Council.

1955

Picture of a student event from 1955

Associated Students (AS) was established to legislate and administer all business regarding the student body.

1957

Students in a club activity from 1957

Associated Student Body (ASB) 1958- Inter-Club Council- Part of Associated Student Body is created to handle the many social clubs and activities that began to emerge.

1963

Students shaking hands with officials

Associated Students Incorporated is established with a structure similar to that of ASI today.

1964

Picture of cow and students

Council of Organizational Representatives (COR) is formed.

1967

Male students in a house

Three years after Associated Students Inc. was established, and as a campus made up of only 4,500 students staff and faculty, a committee was formed to put thoughts of a central meeting spot on campus into plans.

1970

Conference room being prepared for a speech

On December 3 the College Union Proposal, a 27 page document, outlined the future of the college union and a college bookstore. The future union was to have a games room, library, art gallery, TV lounge, music room, multipurpose rooms, ticket sales, crafts room, food venues and more- much of what the Bronco Student Center currently has today.

1974

Plaque of university union creation

On October 21, with 12,000 enrolled students, the University Union was opened. The University Union, as it was called at the time, housed such services as an ice cream parlor, a beer bar, arts and crafts area, theater and meeting rooms. Today the former University Union is now the establishment of many ASI offices including Business Services, Gas Creative Group, ASI Student Government and Games Room Etc.

1991

ASI tabling for votes

April 22 - 25, 1991, students went to the polls to vote on increasing fees by $10 to expand the Union that students were growing out of. This expansion would include services that students requested such as a post office, study rooms and fast food. The possible expansion was denied by only 35 student votes.

1996

Picture of construction

In February 1996, after many attempts, students voted to increase fees for the expansion of their current University Union.

1997

New University Union building

Phase I of the $18.5 million dollar University Union expansion finally began in February of 1997. At the same time design for Phase II of the expansion was finalized.

1998

Students at an ASI thrown event

Phase I of the expansion was completed in just under a year which included renovation of the already standing University Union.

2000

New design plans for a building

Groundbreaking for Phase II began in May 2000. This part of the expansion included a new addition to the University Union which would increase the building space from 77,000 to 129,034 square feet.

2003

Students listening to a live concert

In April 2003 the former University Union was officially renamed the Bronco Student Center. The doors to the BSC were opened during a ribbon-cutting ceremony attended by ASI President Uwaifo Obanor and University President Bob Suzuki. In October 2003 the Bronco Student Center opened its doors to everyone on campus. The newly added facilities that students use today are the Bronco Fitness Center, Recreational Sports office, Center Court, Conference and Events office and service desk and many new meeting rooms.

2010

Back view of the Bronco Student Center

The BSC fees were approved to be increased by the Fee Advisory Committee & President Ortiz; this would help fund the new recreation center.

2012

Two guys at a construction site

Ground was broken for the construction of the Bronco Recreation and Intramural Complex (BRIC).

2014

Front of the Bronco Recreation and Intramural Complex.

The BRIC is a 165,000 square foot complex that opened in September, 2014 to further enhance student life and engagement through the creation of a dynamic and exciting venue for the provision of recreational programs and additional student employment and internship opportunities. It is a showcase of sustainability in building features and operations. The BRIC features an outdoor lap and leisure pool with deck area, 53’ rock climbing wall, basketball and multi-activity courts, racquetball courts, indoor running/walking track, fitness studios, lounge areas and a smoothie/juice bar.